- you can use your clean fingers to massage the area of the gum that is swollen
- give your baby something to chew on, a wet washcloth that has been put in the freezer for 30 minutes should soothe him, teething rings are good too, just make sure it is not hard as ice because this can cause bruising in the gums
- acetaminophen is good to help at night when they go to sleep and should last for 4 hours
- sometimes we can try some baby Oragel or Anbesol only if the baby is very irritable this does not usually last long and I rarely recommend it because it is a topical anesthetic
- lots of hugs and kisses should work great
I always tell my parents that this is a "rite of passage" and this too shall pass before you know it (after a few sleepless nights).